1. People with high self-esteem think positively. Self-esteem is essentially the skill of thinking positively about oneself, so developing the habit of positive thinking in general will raise your chances of also having a positive attitude towards yourself.
2. People with high self-esteem engage in self-esteem raising activities regularly. Whether these activities are exercises that can be read in self-esteem self-help books or simply activities that the person feels happy when doing, such as spending time on a favourite hobby, people with high self-esteem surely spend more of their time on such activities compared to people with low self-esteem. People with high self-esteem do invest their time in activities that make them feel great both in the short-term and in the long run.
3. People with high self-esteem smile and laugh a lot. They have acquired a habit of being happy. Feeling happy makes them look at both themselves and their lives in a positive way.
4. People with high self-esteem don’t take themselves or life too seriously. Something bad happens – so what?! They make a mistake or do something really embarrassing – so what?! People with high self-esteem usually have a great sense of humour and they are not afraid of making themselves into public jokes. For these people, life was never meant to be serious!
5. People with high self-esteem dare to challenge themselves and they dare to fail. They are not afraid of trying new things. Fear of failure doesn’t stop them from trying. With this attitude they are able to move forward in life while people with lower self-esteem often get stuck.
6. People with high self-esteem have a burning desire to continuously grow. They always want to develop themselves and their lives. They always want more. They are curious and they and hungry for everything that life has to give them.
7. People with high self-esteem are interested in themselves. They are often the kind of people who keep a diary where they evaluates their thoughts and behaviours, they like to get stimulated by being asked questions about themselves and they like to explore themselves using self-help books, personal coaches etc. They are not afraid of facing the dark sides of themselves, and they always strive to understand themselves better although that sometimes means discovering uncomfortable truths about themselves.
8. People with high self-esteem are loving towards others. As they have a strong base of trust and confidence within themselves they don’t feel the need to walk over people by hurting them, ignoring them, trying to make them feel less worth or less competent. People with high self-esteem can dare to give of themselves to others. They listen to others, they are respectful, they are empathetic and they genuinely care about the welfare of other people. People with low self-esteem, on the other hand, cannot afford to do this because they are constantly engaged in “defending” themselves. People with high self-esteem, however, don’t feel the need to constantly assert themselves or prove to others that they are good enough, because they already know that they are.
9. People with high self-esteem have a healthy lifestyle. Because they know that they are valuable persons, they make sure that they take care of their bodies. They eat and drink healthily, engage in physical exercise, take proper rest etc. Because they value themselves they don’t engage in any activities that are harmful to them, such as overwork or over-consumption of any harmful substances.
10. People with high self-esteem expect the best to happen. And, because they attract positive things into their lives, it usually does!
The good thing about all these habits is that they are all habits – they can all be learnt even if you don’t have them right now! Habits are results of actions that you have done repeatedly, so the more you do these 10 things that I have listed above, the more natural they will become to you, and the easier you will find it to love yourself.